Thursday, July 7, 2011

Pet scan.....check!

I made it through the pet scan today.  It wasn't bad at all.  They do the pet scans in a trailer outside of the building.  They first had me sit down and they did a radioactive tracer injection through a vein in my arm.  This tracer will go to any higher active tissues in my body and show any cancer.  Then I had to relax while kicked back in a recliner for 45 minutes to allow the injection to go through my whole body.  I thought the time would go by slow but it actually gave me time to pray and the time went by really fast.  Then they took me in for the scan.  This time I was face up (MRI was face down) and had to put my arms over my head.  It wasn't loud at all.  And when my head had passed outside of the loop of the camera the technician came in and told me my head was out and I could open my eyes.  That really helped a lot because then my mind didn't get the best of me.  My arms felt like they were falling asleep!  She showed me the timer on the machine so I could actually see how much time was left.  Once it was finished she had me stay there for a minute while check checked the scan.  She then asked if I would be around any young children.  I told her the ages of my kids and she said that is nothing to worry about.  When I asked her why, she said it was because I was still radioactive and they didn't want my cuddling with any young children!! :)  Before I left I asked if the results would be ready for my appointment tomorrow and she said yes.  Then I wondered, did she see something?? 

Before we left the imaging center, I asked if to see if Dawn was working.  She was working so I got a chance to say hello and thank her again for being so wonderful at the very beginning of my journey. She is the one that did my mammogram and ultrasound and offered to be with me at my biopsy. I really wanted to thank her for all she does and give her a big hug. 

Now that the scan is over anxiety has set in for the results.  But we will know the results tomorrow.  I know God already knows the results but it hit me hard thinking "what if" the scan shows cancer somewhere else in my body. I am trying really hard to only focus on God's plan and not the what ifs. I am praying hard for a clean scan as a baseline to move forward. I am looking forward to meeting with the doctor and attending the chemo training class tomorrow.

Thank you so very much for all of your prayers, cards, phone calls, messages, hugs and support this week.
Love,
Tammy

4 comments:

  1. Tammy,

    Ever since my mom shared your story with me, I have wanted to thank you for your strong witness to Christ through your trial. I was reminded as I read today from Philippians 1 that he who began a good work in us will carry it on to completion. All things work for our good and His glory. He is gradually transforming us to be more like Him. I'm praying that the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your heart and mind in Christ Jesus our Lord. May you be strengthened and encouraged today. Thank you for your testimony of faith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tammy,

    The journey that you are sharing with us is so precious. It's a journey that the rest of us are afraid we may have to face one day. Your perseverance and how you are walking your journey is similar to Jesus' walk and it inspires me. During one of my struggles and biggest trial, a friend suggest I read James. I didn't realize then the process of sanctification. The ongoing transformation of our life to prepare us for the day we go to heaven. You are helping so many people right now, Tammy. God is holding you in his arms and carrying you when you have no strength of your own.

    God used my husband to initiate the desire in my heart to accept Christ as my savior. Eleven years ago, so many people at KSBC, helped me to see that God loves me the way I am. It's people like you who help me to desire to stay on track. I thank you Tammy for being you.

    James 1:2-6 "Consider it pure joy, ... whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind."

    Your walk brings tears to my eyes and I so appreciate you.

    Love,

    Terrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle - thanks so very much for your message and encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrie, I truly want God to be glorified through this process. I just hope that I can help someone else going through something like this. The support that has been poured on us has just blown me away. I feel so blessed to have such a strong support system to help my family through. Thanks for all of your messages.

    ReplyDelete